Brooklyn Navy Yard
Shortly after its founding, ICDN moved to a house at 117 Sands Street, where it operated for nearly 50 years until the city condemned the property to make way for the Brooklyn- Queens Expressway. In cooperation with the N.Y.C. Housing Authority, the nursery relocated to the Farragut Houses, 32 Navy Street, in 1952.
Similar day nurseries opened for Italian children at 47 Front Street in July, 1894, and in the parishes of St. Joseph, Prospect Heights, 1896, and St. Cecilia, Greenpoint, 1904.
Under Bishop Thomas E. Molloy, more day nurseries opened at St. Thomas Settlement, Kent Ave.; in the parishes of Our Lady of Loreto, St. Finbar, Our Lady of Grace, Our Lady of Czestochowa, Our Lady of Peace and Our Lady of the Rosary of Pompeii; and in Jamaica.
Eventually, the nurseries fell under Catholic Charities’ supervision and admitted children of any race, color or creed on the basis of need, and offered medical and case services. In the 1960s, many programs closed due to changing times, tensions in race relations, increasing costs and an inability to meet required standards.